Single Phase Kilowatt-hour Metering IC
- Meets the IEC61036 specification requirements for Class 1 AC static watt-hour meters for active energy
- Less than 0.5% Error over a dynamic range of 1:500
- The motor drive outputs (MOP, MON) provide the average power information and can drive an electro-mechanical counter directly
- LED pulse output for calibration purposes
- Bidirectional and unidirectional energy measurement
- Configurable for different meter ratings
- Precision on-chip oscillator (70ppm/°C drift)
- Precision on-chip voltage reference (10ppm/°C drift)
- On-chip anti-creep function (0.02% of IMAX)
- Low power consumption (<25mW typical)
- Measures AC inputs only
The SA4101A is an accurate single phase power/energy metering integrated circuit providing a single-chip solution for energy meters. Very few external components are required and the device has direct drive capability for electro-mechanical counters. The SA4101A does not require an external crystal. A precision oscillator, which supplies the circuitry with a stable frequency, is integrated on chip. The SA4101A metering integrated circuit generates a pulse rate output, the frequency of which is proportional to the power consumption. The SA4101A performs the calculation for active power. The method of calculation takes the power factor into account.
Programmable inputs allow the meter manufacturer to configure the SA4101A for different meter maximum currents (IMAX) and nominal voltages (VNOM) without having to change the stepper motor or impulse counter gear ratio. The LED pulse output follows the average power consumption measured and is intended for meter calibration purposes. In fast calibration mode this output provides a high frequency pulse rate following the instantaneous power consumption and can be used for fast calibration or to interface with a microcontroller. The SA4101A includes an anti-creep feature preventing any creep effects in the meter. The SA4101A can be configured for positive, negative or bidirectional energy measurement.
The SA4101A integrated circuit is available in a 20 pin small outline (SOIC20) RoHS compliant package.